O'Dowd Student News and Muse

The Crozier

O'Dowd Student News and Muse

The Crozier

O'Dowd Student News and Muse

The Crozier

Public Poll: Fashion Through the Decades

Fashion has changed through the decades. Trends go in and out and styles change throughout generations. Right now, people’s style combines a mix of old fashion ranging from old time clothes to baggy 90s and 2000s fashion.

After asking people if they could go back to any decade of fashion to bring back a style, what would it be? We asked from the decades 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and 2000s. The early 2000s were the most popular choice of fashion to bring back. Next, in second place was the 90s, then the 80s, 70s, 60s, and lastly the 50s being the least popular style to bring back. The most popular style, early 2000s, has clothes including low rise jeans, skirts, baggy jeans, tight jackets, mini skirts, etc. We wanted to know why people picked the decade they did so we asked two students who filled out the poll why they picked that decade. 

Leila Hamaoui ’24, who voted to bring back the 90s, stated that she loves the low rise baggy jean look and is happy that it is still trending in 2023. 

Next, we interviewed Ashley Carroll ’25 and she excitedly answered that she wishes the 80s would come back in fashion. She stated she loves the “bright colors” and “good vibes” and was inspired by the recent decades day seeing the seniors dressed in their bright 80s outfits. 

The next question on the poll asked about what fashion trend people have noticed this year. We noticed repetition in the response of baggy and low rise jeans. As well as sambas and uggs which are very popular right now. However, people least favorite fashion trend were skinny jeans and yeezys. Additionally, we noticed that the color of the year appeared to be red and pink.

Lastly, we asked Ms. Ashlock, who was voted as a fashion icon on the poll, what her favorite decade is, who her fashion icon is, and her least and favorite trends. She said that she would like to bring back the 70s and early 80s style because of the “Woody Allen NY style,” the “flowy California girl” look and the “gender bending suits.”  Ms. Ashlock does not have an exact style inspiration but if she had to choose, it would be Joan Mitchell. Right now, Ms. Ashlock’s favorite trend is the baggy jean and crop top look that has been brought back from the 90s and 2000s. Her least favorite trend right now is cargo pants. 

Clothes go in and out of style constantly, trends are always changing and some are new while some are brought back from many decades ago. What’s your favorite fashion decade?