O'Dowd Student News and Muse

The Crozier

O'Dowd Student News and Muse

The Crozier

O'Dowd Student News and Muse

The Crozier

The Most Anticipated Week of the School Year

During last year’s Spirit Week, students enthusiastically cheer on Unity Day at a rally.

Every school year, Bishop O’Dowd welcomes their students back to campus through the Homecoming dance and celebrates school spirit during Spirit Week. October 14th to October 20th will be an exciting week! More details will be announced on Schoology leading up to Homecoming and Spirit Week, but here is some known information.

This year, Homecoming is on October 14th from 6:00 to 9:00 p.m. on the quad. Doors will close at 7:00, so make sure to arrive on time! Students cannot leave before 8:30, and parent signatures are required to leave before 9:00 p.m. This year, the homecoming theme is Old Hollywood black and white – not necessarily black and white clothing, but like non-colored black and white movies period (first half of the 20th century).

To go to Homecoming, each student must pay $8 (there’s a link for payment posted on Schoology by Mama Green) and turn in their permission slip (found on Schoology) to Mama Green by Friday, October 6 in advance. Homecoming is an O’Dowd student-only event, so everyone must bring their school ID. In addition, security will select people to search and or take a breathalyzer test, so be careful!

It’s easy to forget that all school events are carefully planned – Homecoming could not happen without ASB, who created Homecoming’s theme and organized the occasion. Taylor Partrite ‘25, a member of the Associated Student Body commented, “I’m excited to see how all of the work ASB has put into homecoming will turn out.” Make sure to come to Homecoming; everyone will have a great time!

Two days later, Spirit Week will start on Monday, October 16th, and end on Friday, October 20th. Every day that week will have 55-minute periods, and further details will be posted as the week nears. During Spirit Week, students will flaunt their school spirit and compete against the other grades to win the most Spirit Week points through various activities and competitions scattered throughout the week. Ms. Gray posted the Spirit Week schedule, daily themes, and dress code information on Schoology, so be sure to check it out! Some recurring activities are the Olympics, hall decorating according to each grade’s theme, and relay races. Remember to learn your grade’s Spirit Week song to get spirit points!

On Thursday night (most likely from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m.), the Night Rally will take place. Night Rally has similar qualities to a talent show- students can show off their passions, such as singing, dancing, and more! Night Rally auditions are on October 3rd and 4th from 3:15 to 5:00 pm; all acts must be under 3 minutes and music needs to be clean. Make sure to get to the quad ten to twenty minutes early and efficiently join your grade so that everyone will be ready to head in.

As a friendly reminder, remember to be respectful during Spirit Week; booing/insulting other grades, acting disorderly, and other inappropriate actions will result in your grade losing Spirit Week points. Overall, get ready to have as much fun as possible with friends at homecoming and Spirit Week!