O'Dowd Student News and Muse

The Crozier

O'Dowd Student News and Muse

The Crozier

O'Dowd Student News and Muse

The Crozier

Bishop’s Foodies: Pla Daek

Bishops Foodies: Pla Daek

This month on Bishops foodies, we embarked on a flavorful journey at Pla Daek, a hidden gem nestled in the heart of the city of Oakland. The restaurant serves thai food and is open Monday-Sunday from 11am-8:30 pm on weekdays and 11am-9:30pm. You can either dine in or order food online and pick it up, which makes life much easier.

From the moment we stepped inside, the ambiance was warm and inviting, setting the stage for a night filled with good food and fun. To kick off our Thai food adventure, we started with Pla Daek’s signature appetizer, the Crispy Fish Cakes. The golden-brown exterior gave way to a succulent, flavorful mix of minced fish and aromatic Thai herbs. The accompanying sweet chili sauce provided the perfect balance, leaving our taste buds tingling with delight.

For the main course, we couldn’t resist diving into the Crab Chili Fried rice, a Thai classic renowned for its bold and spicy flavors. Pla Daek truly mastered the art of this dish by not only serving heaping portions that make you feel like your money was well spent, but the blend of spicy chili with the subtle flavors of the classic crab fried rice make for an explosion with every bite. 

But the true star of the evening was the Pla Rad Prik, a whole fish deep-fried to perfection and drenched in a spicy chili sauce. The crispy skin gave way to succulent, tender fish, while the sauce added layers of heat and sweetness. This dish showcased Pla Daek’s commitment to using fresh, high-quality ingredients and mastering the art of Thai cuisine.The attentive and friendly staff at Pla Daek added to the overall experience, ensuring our glasses were never empty and patiently answering our questions about the menu. The cozy yet vibrant atmosphere created the perfect backdrop for an unforgettable dining experience. In conclusion, Pla Daek left an indelible mark on our taste buds and hearts. The meticulous preparation, authentic flavors, and warm hospitality make it a must-visit for anyone seeking an authentic Thai dining experience. Ben and Jack wholeheartedly recommend Pla Daek for a culinary journey that transcends the ordinary and elevates Thai cuisine to new heights.