O'Dowd Student News and Muse

The Crozier

O'Dowd Student News and Muse

The Crozier

O'Dowd Student News and Muse

The Crozier

Palisades Avalanche: Wake Up Call For Ski Safety

Image by Marin Magazine

On January 11, 2024 the slopes of Palisades Resort (formerly known as Squaw Valley) saw tragedy strike. There was an avalanche that happened to be in bounds of the resort, that cost someone their life. Before this event took place, the snowfall had been very off and on and there were hard-pack snow conditions days before the avalanche. Then came a storm which brought an unsettled layer of snow on top. These conditions are very dangerous, hence why that run was not opened previously.

On this faithless stormy Wednesday, there was snow falling at a rapid pace. For a seasoned skier, this was a dream. For others, these conditions can be scary and cause weariness. The avalanche happened under the KT22 chairlift in the GS Gully. This run is known as a black diamond, meaning that it is more advanced and only better skiers should use it. It is uncommon for avalanches to happen in bounds at ski resorts. Especially during a time with faulty snow conditions. Furthermore, the avalanche control team always makes sure it is safe to experience the fresh powder on the slopes. However, on this day, the ski run had opened at 9:00 am for the first day of the season and the avalanche took place around 9:30 am. Not even one hour later. It was later found out that the morning that this happened the mountain team had not bombed the ski run to clear off the dangerous powder. Bombing the ski runs is important for controlling the snow runoff. The bombing manipulates possible avalanches by loosening up the snow. It was later reported that the avalanche spanned about 150 feet wide, 10 feet deep, and 450 feet long. The fatal mistake of not bombing that day and opening the run too early caused some to be hurt and became a serious warning to take all necessary precautions to ensure safety. 

There were four people involved in the avalanche. The one who was killed in this accident, Kenneth Kidd, was 66 years of age and a nearby resident. The three others made it out alive by some miracle. Jason Parker one of the survivors, had a surreal experience with the avalanche. As said in an article by NBC, Jason Parker recalls, “It was like, ‘Oh, is this really happening?’ I’m just trying to stay above it, kind of swimming down a little bit as much as I can. Once I got to the area where the steep gully is, it just accelerated. You could feel there was a lot more power to it at this point. I’m getting washed through the gully. Somehow, and I don’t remember, but it flipped me onto my belly. Now I’m going down head first, trying to just swim to the top.” Parker estimated that he had been buried for around 7-8 minutes. The only way he was able to survive was by using his previous avalanche skills and punching a whole in the snow to create an air pocket.

This tragedy caused lots of panic in the ski world, but served as a wake up call. Since this accident, Palisades has been reopened and resumed as normal for the time being. At this time it is too early to say what will happen with the spin out of of this occurrence, but there will surly be some legal action taken. With no discount of this dire event, the resort still continues to pay tribute to the one life lost, and the three others who were hurt.