O'Dowd Student News and Muse

The Crozier

O'Dowd Student News and Muse

The Crozier

O'Dowd Student News and Muse

The Crozier

Best Hikes in the Bay

The best hikes in the Bay Area, based on what you are capable of.

Some of the best hikes can be found right here in the Bay Area. The Bay offers hikes from beginner to intermediate, making it so you can hone your skills and abilities at your level of comfort. The hikes highlighted in this article will be for all kinds of skill levels, whether you are just getting into hiking or are a skilled veteran.

In my opinion, one of the best places to start hiking if you’re just getting into it is Joaquin Miller. Joaquin Miller consists of an array of easy trails to get you started. One of my favorite hikes found is the Sequoia Bayview trail, a quick 2.9 miles on relatively flat terrane. The scenery is beautiful and you do not have to be a tree hugger to be able to appreciate the beauty of the trees on the trail.

Once you’ve graduated from Joaquin Miller and are looking for more challenging hikes, Mount Diablo is a good one to try. Diablo has a single similarity to Joaquin Miller and that is there are countless hiking trails, 92 to be exact. Personally, I would recommend Donner Canyon Middle Trail, a trail with some uphill terrain and five little waterfalls. If you are especially confident in your craft I would highly recommend Mount Diablo Summit trail. This hike is 7.3 miles and is a great intermediate hike. I recommend hiking boots or trail shoes for the best experience. Once you reach the top it is worth it to see the view.

Another trail in the same realm is the Mount Tamalpais East Peak via Stagecoach Fire Road. This trail is 9 miles long, starting next to a fire station and leading to the top of Mt. Tam where there is a fire lookout, as well as a beautiful view of the Bay Area. This hike is moderately difficult, however, the very first part has a vertical angle, which can be difficult for new hikers so you should wear hiking boots or trail shoes. After the initial difficulty the trail stays consistently moderate in difficulty. Once you make your way down the mountain you might want to visit the West Point Inn,  a building on Mt. Tam that you can book a room at and stay at. West Point Inn also sells food and drinks using the trust system (so don’t be that one guy who steals stuff because you can get away with it).

Now for a hike that is brutal on your body.  This hike is called the San Francisco Crosstown Trail. My Dad, who completed all of these hikes with me, noted that this hike was “Not overly strenuous but definitely difficult given the length.” This hike will take you from Candlestick Point to Lands End for a total of 19 miles. On this trail, you will be walking on the beach, through the woods, over pavement, and a lot of stairs. This may be brutal on your body but that doesn’t mean it’s not fun. This is possibly my favorite hike ever. On this hike you go through pretty parks, go on small paths and you will even encounter what I think is an abandoned hospital.

Throughout all these hikes you get to see new places, have fun hiking with peers, and will make memories you will remember for the rest of your life. I will leave you with this message: sore legs from a hike will not last, so what’s stopping you from going out and exploring the Bay Area?