O'Dowd Student News and Muse

The Crozier

O'Dowd Student News and Muse

The Crozier

O'Dowd Student News and Muse

The Crozier

Fall Sports Preview

As the world enters autumn, the leaves turn shades of red and gold, marking the beginning of fall sports at Bishop O’Dowd. This season, the Dragons will look to continue their historic success in athletics. Prepare yourself for a glimpse into the talented players and teams that are competing this fall.

Football

It’s an exciting season for the varsity football team. Coming off a winning record in division play in 2022, the Dragons are poised for success. Led by 3-star recruit Berlin Lillard ‘24 and two-way players Miles Dixon ‘24 and Elisha Glenn ‘24, the Dragons have talent across the board. O’Dowd football is entering its second year of former NFL player Hardy Nickerson’s tenure as head coach, who coached the Dragons to back-to-back league titles in 2010 and 2011. Under Nickerson and the senior leaders, the Bishop O’Dowd football team is locked in. Starting linebacker Kyle Turner ‘25 says, “We’re ready to put effort into everything we do; we can only control our effort and hope that leads to execution. The expectations are high, and we’re ready to meet them.”

Girls Cross Country

Geared up for the season, the girls cross country team is back and faster than ever. The girls are lacing up their shoes, preparing to push their limits on winding trails, up steep hills, and racing to the finish line. Led by team captain Sofia Brenna ‘25, the dragon runners are determined to reach victory. 

Boys Cross Country

Another team keen to get going is boys cross country. Team captains Ethan Gonzalez ‘24 and Lyle Phillips ‘24 and one of their fastest runners, Ennio Edinberg ‘25, lead this talented group of runners. The Dragons have been conditioning all summer in the heat and prepared to endure anything to win. A devoted member of the team, August Kerley ‘25, anticipates a successful season, stating, “I’m so excited to see what our team can do.”

Girls Water Polo

The girls’ water polo team is ready to make a splash this fall. As the girls’ water polo season unfolds, fans can look forward to witnessing exceptional teamwork, individual brilliance, and an undeniable passion for the sport. The Dragons are ready and prepared for every opponent, led by Penny Varela-Halsey ‘24, who said, “I feel very confident about the season.” Come watch as the Dragons tread through their adversaries!

Boys Water Polo

Like the girls’ team, the boys’ team is diving into this season with a head of steam. With the water as their battleground, these skilled athletes will showcase their strength and determination. Led by captain Hunter Morgan ’24, expect the Dragons to make jaw-dropping saves and astonishing goals. 

Girls Tennis

Moving to the court, the girls’ tennis team is ready to smash their competition! The team has been honing their game and is prepared to demonstrate their skill and precision on the courts this fall. This team is ready to bring powerful serves and thrilling rallies to every match, and they are determined to win. The Dragons are already showcasing their talent, with Ava Taner ‘24 and Ayla Akcaoglu ‘27 winning the doubles crown at the Freedom Girls tournament. Varsity player Ashley Carrol ‘25 says, “I’m excited for the season, I want to win NCS, and I think we can go all the way.”

Girls Golf

All students should get ready to witness the talent and determination of the Bishop O’Dowd girls’ golf team as they tee off for an exciting season. With captains Claire Lonegran ‘24 and Ashley Judkins ‘24 leading the charge, the Dragons are prepared to push for greatness and leave their opponents in the bunker. While the team has its talents, the girls’ success is also predicated on the bonds within their team. Nola Lum ‘24 remarks, “Golf is a great community; we’re all just so close.” United together, with a plethora of talent from upperclassmen and lowerclassmen, Bishop O’Dowd girls’ golf is synonymous with excellence. The dragon girls are swinging for new heights this season, with a fairway of success ahead of them. 

Girls Volleyball

Continuing to the hardwood, the girls’ volleyball team promises fierce competition and the will to win. With their season well underway, the girls are currently 1-5. The Dragons hope to rekindle the fire from their first win against Mureau Catholic. While they started the season rough, the girls have the talent and determination to get back on track. Stay tuned with the girl Dragons for powerful spikes, incredible saves, and exhilarating competition. 

The Dragons look great across the board this year and are prepared to tackle all adversity head-on. Come out to support the Dragons this year! Tickets are available on the O’Dowd website. Go Dragons!