O'Dowd Student News and Muse

The Crozier

O'Dowd Student News and Muse

The Crozier

O'Dowd Student News and Muse

The Crozier

Who Is Travis Scott?

Who Is Travis Scott?

Travis Scott is regarded as one of the most innovative rappers in the last 10 years. “Travis Scott” was born Jacques Bermon Webster on April 30, 1991. Webster was born into a family of musicians, with his father being a soul musician, and his grandfather being a jazz composer. Webster went to Elkins High School where he joined the musical theater. Webster later dropped out of the University of San Antonio to pursue his musical career. Webster chose his moniker from his favorite Uncle Travis, and the first name of his favorite artist, Kid Cudi (whose real name is Scott Mescudi).

In 2010, Travis formed a rap group with his schoolmate OG Chess, and they called themselves the Classmates. The Group ended up dropping 2 projects, Buddy Rich and Crusi’n In USA. The group eventually broke up in 2012 due to financial disagreements. In Los Angeles, his parents cut him off financially and he was forced to relocate to Houston, where his parents kicked him out. When he was in Los Angeles, Travis was contacted by Atlanta based rapper T.I. They met up in the studio for a meeting, where T.I freestyle over Travis’s productions. Scott dropped his first production, Owl Pharaoh, in 2012. In 2013, Travis dropped the video for one of his highly acclaimed songs Quintana.

On March 27, 2013, XXl revealed Scott on the list of XXL Freshman Class Of 2013. This has historically been the jumpstart to many successful rappers careers including Denzel Curry, 21 Savage, and Lil Uzi Vert. In 2013, his song Upper Echelon was sent to Urban Contemporary Radio. On March 13, 2014, Travis dropped his second mixtape, Days Before Rodeo. This was a successful mixtape with the lead single titled Don’t Play.  His Debut studio album Rodeo was released on September 4, 2015. This album included features from, Quavo, Juicy J , Kanye West, The Weekend, Chief Keef, Justin Beiber, Young Thug, and Toro Y Moi. The album was supported by 2 singles, Antidote and 3500, which were both included on the Billboard 100 chart. The album received positive reviews and the album debuted number 3 onThe US Billboard 100.

On April 7, 2016, Scott dropped his second studio album, Birds In The Trap Sing Mcknight.  One of the songs on the album, Pick Up The Phone, which included a feature by Young Thug, reached number 43 on the billboard Hot 100 and went double platinum by The Recording Industry Of America. This album became Travis Scott’s first number 1 album on the Billboard Hot 200. In an interview he describes his album as, “very youthful, straight to the point, like the illest ever, man, like the illest album ever.” In 2017 Scott created his own record label where he signed artists like Sheck Wes, Don Toliver, SoFaygo, and the late Pop Smoke.

On August 3 2018, Travis Scott dropped arguably one of the most iconic albums in the last decade, Astroworld. This album featured artists like Kid Cudi, Drake, Don Toliver, Juice World, Migos, and others. This album debuted at number one on the Billboard Hot 100. The album’s second single, Sicko Mode, peaked at number 1 on the Billboard Hot 200.  This song is Scott’s highest charting solo single to date.  In 2019, Scott dropped an album consisting of only the members of his label, called Jackboys. His 4th, and most recent album titled Utopia dropped on January 15th, 2021. In summary, Travis Scott has released some of the most innovative projects in the last decade and is remembered by all for his creative spark.