O'Dowd Student News and Muse

The Crozier

O'Dowd Student News and Muse

The Crozier

O'Dowd Student News and Muse

The Crozier

BOD Students: Hot Takes

We asked several O’Dowd students to share their hot takes, here are the results.

Hot takes: we all know them and we all argue over them. We went around campus and asked students to share their most controversial opinions, here are the results.

First, many students gave hot takes on pop culture. One student claimed that all of Taylor Swift’s music sounds the same. While this might make Taylor Swift fans very mad, many people have argued this. One Redditor says that some people think the music sounds the same because “she repeats the chord progressions a lot. Not everyone notices.” Another student argued Taylor Swift and Kanye West are equally bad. It is well known that with great fame comes great controversy and since these artists have made a name for themselves in a multitude of different ways, people are going to have their opinions. One person on Reddit said, “I hate Taylor Swift because she has an awful personality, she’s a garbage human from a professional standpoint…” Lastly, one student argued that the emoji movie is good. This is a hot take as it is rated 2.6 stars on Google and 6% by Rotten Tomatoes. But, the emoji movie does have some support as a person on Google Reviews claimed, “Amazing. No other words…It should win an Oscar for its screenplay The amazing factors might be from the hyper-realistic animation Or the magnificent plot.” 

Next, we gathered many hot takes on food. First, a student claimed that if you just drink milk, you’re weird. Well if you just drank milk, your body will not get the nutrients they need. As described by, Ms. Pavithra N Raj on NDTV, “The body will be lacking in essential nutrients such as magnesium, iron, niacin, folate, and vitamins C and D, as well as completely lacking in fiber.” So yes, just drinking milk is weird because you would be voluntarily not giving your body the things it needs. Next, another student claims that iced hot chocolate is different from just chocolate milk. This can be verified. On Quora, one person confirms that hot chocolate is made with cocoa powder, sugar, and milk while chocolate milk is regular milk with chocolate put in it. So yes, this hot take is proven true.  Furthermore, another student loves the combination of beef jerky and Nutella. Ok, this might shock you, but there have been a few TikTok and YouTube videos showing off this combination and since many people love both beef jerky and Nutella, give it a try, you just might love it.

To conclude, we also got some miscellaneous hot takes from various students and teachers. First, someone claims that instead of putting both socks on and then the shoe, you should instead put on one sock, put on the shoe, then put the other sock on, and follow with the shoe. Unsurprisingly, there has been commentary about this on Quora, with most people agreeing that putting both socks on and then the shoes is the best option. One person in particular said, “I’d have to go with sock-sock/shoe-shoe because it would feel wrong if I had a sock and shoe on one foot while the other was still bare.” A large number of students have opinions on socks and in the next hot take, one student advocates for putting socks on first after getting out of the shower. Could this hot take have some truth to this? Well, one Redditor says yes, because it is easier to put pants on if you have socks on first. After all, your feet won’t be wet. Good point. Furthermore, a student claims nighttime showers are better than showering in the morning. Hard to say if this is a hot take because many people agree with this, just like one Redditor who confirms, “Ideally you just wouldn’t be sweaty and filthy when you go to bed.” Furthermore, a student claims that the leftmost lane of a highway has no speed limit. But, what happens if all the cars crash? Every car would be moving at a different speed and that would create chaos, but we respect the take. Lastly, one teacher claims cats are terrible pets because they would kill you if they were your size. A study on USA Today claims,If they were bigger, they probably would consider killing you.” Why would anyone want an aspiring murderer in their house?

In conclusion, many O’Dowd students have a variety of interesting hot takes. There are a lot of different opinions on different subjects and it was interesting to gather all of them. What are your hot takes?