5 Healthy Habits for Online Learning

While many of us remain online, simple daily habits can keep us healthy.

Cordelia Kuiper Rauch, Assistant Editor-In-Chief

While students doing the hybrid program are able to stretch their legs on the winding paths to class, those at home are not. Here are some easy ways to take care of your body in the final months of online school. 

Stretch your eyes:

Staring at a bright-lit screen for hours a day can dry out your eyes and make them sore. One easy way to help alleviate these effects is to follow a simple 20-20-20 rule. Every 20 minutes that you spend looking at your screen, find an object around 20 feet away to look at for 20 seconds. You can also practice eye circles and switching between short and long-distance focus to keep your eyes sharp.

Keep hydrated:

Starting your day with a glass of lemon water has shown to have numerous health benefits, including improved hydration, clearer skin, aided digestion, and boosted vitamin C. It can kick start your digestive system, and simply tastes delicious. Water in general is the best for hydrating, but any drinks will work. Just remember to stay away from sodas and sugary drinks.

Stay active:

Between Zoom calls is a perfect time to stand up and walk around, step outside for a few minutes, or even just stretch in your chair. With so much time spent in sedentary positions, there is an increased risk of developing increased blood pressure, high blood sugar, and abnormal cholesterol levels, which can lead to cardiovascular complications. Even just a walk around the house or apartment a couple of times a day can have large impacts and help in muscle retention and improved mental health.

Eat nourishing food:

It can be difficult to prepare and eat three healthy meals each day in addition to attending classes, homework, and extracurricular activities, but it is very important to your health and brain function. Eat as many vegetables and fruit as you can, especially dark, colorful, and/or leafy veggies. Diets high in plant-based protein have been associated with higher life expectancy than meat-based high protein diets. Avoid processed and sugary foods and if you can, eat organic or pesticide-free food not only for your health but also to protect farmworkers and the environment.

Get good sleep:

It’s amazing how after a day of screen time we students can still spend time online! Just remember that late-night exposure to electronics can disrupt sleep quality. Getting at least 7-9 hours of sleep will help you have more energy, boost your mood, do homework faster, and do better in school – good night!

Hopefully, we will all be together on campus in the fall. However, these tips will help all of us remain healthy in the meantime.