Meet Your ASB Canidates

Avery Forristal, Copy Editor

The ASB candidates respond to three questions to give a better grasp on why they are best fit to be elected, their plans if elected, and a little more about themselves.

ASB President

Selma Louise Apara:

My name is Selma and I’m the current ASB Vice President, a cheerleader, member of the Drama department, and on the BSU Executive Council. 

Why do you think you’re the best fit and/or qualified for this position?

I think I’m the best fit for this position because I’m involved in almost every aspect of campus life (Athletics, Student Council, Clubs, Drama), so I have a very full grasp of the O’Dowd experience and the needs of students. I’ve also been planning on this since freshman year, so I’m very determined to be a great president! 

What do you do in your spare time?

In my spare time, I like to watch anime (mostly Shonen) and recreate food that I find on the internet. 

What is your top priority as a candidate/what changes do you want to make?

My top priority as a candidate is to make sure that everyone’s voice is heard if they have an issue, and to help make up for all the time we lost this school year. Most of all, I hope to be able to bring a smile to everyone’s face and be a leader people feel they can relate to and talk to.

Cahal Connolly:

I am a member of multiple sports teams, clubs, groups, and an active member of the O’Dowd community. I am a good leader who loves making connections and forming relationships with people.

I think I am the best fit for president because of my experience working with the administration in a variety of applications. Whether it is being a current member of ASB, head of a club, part of a team, or advocating on behalf of the students, I feel my experience working with the school will allow me to be more efficient as president. I also think my dragon pride along with my collaboration skills and ability to work well with other people will make me valuable as a member of the ASB team.

What do you do in your spare time?

Some of my interests include sports, academics, social justice, and sustainability. I enjoy spending time with friends and family, cooking, being in nature, exercising, and working to improve our society.

My top priorities as a candidate include making the O’Dowd community a welcoming place for everybody, making the campus a more sustainable place, and working for the best school year and spirit week ever. I would like to keep collaborating with our school to make it a racism and discrimination-free place. I would also like to continue the efforts of eco-leaders/eco-club in making our school more environmentally friendly. If elected I will build on the ideas of previous classes and make our year the best most spirited year possible.

ASB Vice President

Mariah Mayfield:

Hi everyone! My name is Mariah Mayfield, class of 2023 and I am running for the ASB Vice President term 2021-2022. I am currently apart of the cheer team, leader of the Bay Scholars clubs, and apart of Gender justice along with a few more activities on campus.

I think I am the best fit for this position because I have grown to love O’Dowd. I have struggled a lot academically and socially during freshman year. As we were in the pandemic( beginning phases), I have grown so much individually as a leader. I am now thriving in both of those aspects of my O’Dowd experience, and I want to be the one to give those resources to students who were once or who are now in the same position I was.

What do you do in your spare time?

In my spare time, I enjoy gardening, cooking/ baking, and doing math on khan academy.

As a candidate, my top priority is to repair unity on campus. I want to bring more communication about social issues to all students so after I leave O’Ddowd we have protocols in place so future generations don’t have to go through some experience my peers have had to face. Repairing unity will also be incorporated in more “fun” activities such as spirit week, dances, orientation, etc. Hopefully, I can use input from my peers to make the environment more comfortable for students through any transition. Thank you all for taking the time to read this. Don’t forget to vote on March 24th, 2021. For anything reach out via email, [email protected]. Have a great week dragons!

Toby Yegian:

I’m Toby Yegian, a current junior at Bishop O’Dowd and a regular bear for participating in seven different clubs and four different extracurriculars. 

As for my qualifications, I refer you to my previous point; I have taken part in so many activities at O’Dowd, from Chemistry Club to Track and Field, that I have a fairly good ear for what is fun and interesting. Moreover, I commit myself to projects that engage me, no matter the difficulty; on a leadership position like ASB, that means I will be giving my all even if it cuts into my free time.

What do you do in your spare time?

I typically spend my free time working out, playing videogames, playing piano, or on one of my previously-mentioned harebrained schemes(i.e., duct-tape hammer for whacking friends). 

My plan is to bring some of my expertise in these fields to various organized events at ASB, and I’d like to expand on the infrastructure for student-created clubs or after-school events; but as for now, I’m keeping it general. I’ll have plenty of time to nail down the specifics if you vote me in as your ASB Vice President.

ASB Secretary

Audrey Ohwobete:

I would describe myself as a focused person who knows and actively chases her goals. I’m always planning the next step for my future, but in contrast to this, I know the importance of self-care, in addition to having fun! 

I think I am best qualified for this position because I do well under pressure and I’m not intimidated by anything that is thrown my way. These attributes can help me next year whether we return to campus or stay remote, I’ll be ready with great ideas to present to the team. 

What do you do in your spare time?

In my spare time, I love doing nail art or listening to/writing music. I’m also learning how to skateboard and I’m getting into cosmetics. My hobby is trying to become a jack of all trades. 

My top priority as ASB Secretary is to ensure the well-being of students next year no matter what it looks like. My main goal as I said in my speech video is to help us return to a new and better normal whether it be remote or on campus. If I am accepted as ASB Secretary I will input many ideas for socializing the students among each other to repair the possible damage that all this alone time has caused. I really miss the bond that I saw all over campus and as ASB Secretary I will be able to replicate it and make O’Dowd even stronger!

Emma Swinney:

Hi! My name is Emma Swinney and I am currently a junior. 

I would fit very well as ASB secretary because of my experience on the student council as current class president and sophomore class secretary. I am committed to the O’Dowd community and would love to contribute my creativity to our school. The dedication shown by my classmates has been so inspiring and I feel energized to take on next year with 110% school spirit.

What do you do in your spare time?

I am currently playing soccer and tennis and I have been curating a lot of hobbies over quarantine like sewing and embroidery.

My goal for next year is to make every day of school enjoyable for all students; including creating more spaces for everyone’s identities and interests and organizing more activities like assemblies or bake sales. Next year, my top priority will be to make up for the lost school spirit and to make a memorable and enjoyable year for everyone.

Mollie King:

My name is Mollie King from the Class of 2022. I have lived in a couple of different places ranging from Massachusetts, Georgia, North Carolina, and California which makes up a large part of my identity as a nature-loving, slightly cowboy, slightly city girl, advocate for the greater good and democracy.

I am qualified for this position because I am a change-seeker, I am action-oriented, and I love O’Dowd. A good example of this is when I shaved my head freshman year for childhood cancer. I wanted to raise money for the 1 in 285 children who are diagnosed with cancer before the age of 20 and, not only did I reach my goal, but I quintupled it! With my passion for the dragon community, I am positive that I will get things done.

What do you do in your spare time?

My spare time is composed of three main things: art, running, and scouts. I like to experiment with different mediums in my art – everything from wool yarn to terracotta clay. Most of my art turns out pretty mediocre but the process makes it totally worth it, especially when I get to share it with my friends and family. Running and scouting are what keep me fit physically and mentally. Over the pandemic, whenever I am feeling down or unproductive, I will grab my running shoes or rummage through the scout handbook because there is always something I can improve on or work towards.

My top priority as an ASB secretary candidate is to reconnect the O’Dowd community. Everyone’s individual personalities and talents are what make up the culture of O’Dowd and next year, I want to make sure that every student has the opportunity to shine gold- from the freshmen and sophomores whom I have never met before to the juniors and seniors who deserve the opportunity to be the leaders they are prepared to be. I will do this by amplifying student voices through the clubs, affinity groups, sports teams, and student art representation. Let’s show our greater community what a dragon has to offer!

ASB Treasurer

Gabe Tarantino:

Hey guys, my name is Gabe Tarantino and I’m a junior, I played soccer and football for O’Dowd, and also do Advanced Jazz. 

I think I’d be a great candidate for ASB Treasurer because I’ve been on ASB before as your Publicist, and am super familiar with what it takes to get things done and activities planned for you guys in the safest and “funnest” (probably not a word) way possible. 

What do you do in your spare time?

In my spare time, I like hiking and camping and playing my tenor sax.

My TOP priority is to get this school year up and running for those on campus and those remote … just because some of you guys aren’t gonna be physically on campus DOES NOT mean you’ll be second priority to those that are. Also, I’m locked in on getting you guys an insane spirit week when we can!

Elsie-Jane Clemens:

I am Elsie-Jane Daisy, Heidi Clemens. I am a sophomore who believes in the community and family of O ‘dowd and would love to be an avid part of the o’ Dowd community.

I think I am the best fit for this role because I have been able to find new and exciting events and activities to bring the O’ Dowd family closer while filling their days with fun.

What do you do in your spare time?

In my spare time, I like to spend time with my family and friends, listen to music, and workout.

My top priority as a candidate is to be a support system for the rest of the ASB team. to give them a stable foundation to succeed and make O’ Dowd as fun as possible. I will do this by listening to your ideas and suggestions.