O'Dowd Student News and Muse

The Crozier

O'Dowd Student News and Muse

The Crozier

O'Dowd Student News and Muse

The Crozier

Outside Lands Experience

In the summer of 2023, the vibrant city of San Francisco once again played host to the renowned Outside Lands festival, creating an unforgettable weekend of music, art, and community in the heart of Golden Gate Park. With its rich history of bringing together music enthusiasts from all walks of life, this year’s Outside Lands did not disappoint. The festival’s lineup featured an eclectic mix of artists spanning various genres, promising an extraordinary experience for attendees. Jack Joyce ‘25 shared his perspective and the stand out performers, noting, “Kendrick had the best performance because of his catalog,” while also highlighting the infectious energy of Yachty’s set, saying, “Yachty was more of a fun experience because the crowd was more active.” As the echoes of music and the spirit of camaraderie lingered in the air, the 2023 Outside Lands festival in San Francisco again proved why it remains a cherished and unforgettable annual celebration of music and culture.

As the sun dipped below the horizon, the stage lights illuminated some of the biggest names in the music industry. The headliners and standout performers of Outside Lands 2023 included:

Kendrick Lamar: A Grammy-winning hip-hop sensation who brought his lyrical prowess and magnetic stage presence to the festival. Kendrick Lamar’s performance was a mesmerizing journey through his acclaimed discography, leaving the audience in awe.

Lana Del Rey: An American singer, songwriter, and musician known for her distinctive musical style and persona. Her music can be described as a fusion of several genres, including dream pop, indie pop, alternative rock, and baroque pop

Foo Fighters: A Rock band known for their energetic and versatile music. 

Megan Thee Stallion: A dynamic force in the world of Hip Hop. Her music can be described as very high energy.

Lil Yachty: A distinctive figure in the world of Hip-Hop and rap, known for his unique style and somewhat playful approach to his music.

Cigarettes After Sex: A band with music that is both intimate and emotionally evocative. They are known for their dreamy and atmospheric music that combines elements of indie rock and dream pop.

Willow Smith: A versatile and boundary pushing artist. Her music can be described with many genres including alternative pop, R&B, and Hip-Hop.

ODESZA: An electronic music duo that is known for their lush and immersive soundscapes. Their music can be described as euphoric and cinematic.

JID: A highly skilled rapper known for his intricate lyricism and versatile flow. His music is described as rap and trap, with a heavy emphasis on wordplay.

Zedd: An electronic music producer and DJ known for his high energy of style and dance. His music is a blend of EDM and pop infused electronic elements.

Outside Lands 2023 was not just about the music; it was an immersive experience that celebrated art, sustainability, and culinary delights. The “Eco Lands” section promoted sustainability and environmental awareness, encouraging festival goers to engage with eco-friendly initiatives, savor organic and locally sourced food, and connect with organizations dedicated to a greener future. 

San Francisco’s 2023 Outside Lands festival once again wove together a captivating tapestry of music, art, and community. With a diverse lineup featuring Kendrick Lamar, Lana Del Rey, and Lil Yachty, the festival transcended genres and left a lasting impression. As the echoes of melodies and the spirit of togetherness lingered, Outside Lands 2023 affirmed its status as a celebration of music and culture, promising more unforgettable moments in the years to come.